Race Chat

This area of our site is reserved for discussion (members only) on anything to do with upcoming races. Please remember to be polite and courteous with your comments.

To start a new topic of conversation click here.

1. Ken stewart says:

Some races I can recommend. Entries open. I’m in. Join me?
    Crouch End – 19th May
    Triffic Trail – 23rd June
    Both these are ERC Core Races and usually have a large entry from ERC.

Ware 10 (miles) – 7th July. Last couple of years a good ERC turnout and ERC Ladies have taken team prize (come on boys).

Maidenhead Half Marathon – 1st September. A flat, fast race. Good for PBs. Lovely countryside.

2. Ilia says:

London Marathon Study

For the attention of ERC runners in London marathon – a chance to help with scientific research. Please see below:

Hello,

I’m contacting you to see if any of your members are competing in London Marathon 2019 and would be interested in taking part in a study. I am an MSc student studying Applied Sports Nutrition at St Mary’s University Twickenham and am planning on conducting a study observing gastrointestinal disturbance and hydration in runners with different diets (vegan, vegetarian & meat-eater) during a marathon. This would involve taking a urine sample and a couple of questionnaires on race day, and a food diary and some questionnaires on another day that is convenient for participants.

After the study, participants will have access to their results. If you are interested, please let me know by responding to this email or calling me on 07731971302. If you do so, I can let you know more about the study and answer any questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Kirsty Yull

MSc Student
    St Mary’s University, Twickenham
    Waldegrave Road
    Twickenham
    TW1 4SX
    Email: kirsty.yull94@gmail.com
    Phone: 07731971302

3. James Gill says:

Save the Date – Run the River 2019

Run the River 2019 is now booked up and confirmed for Sunday 13th October. Our 2018 event was a huge success, and this was down to the amazing ERC volunteers who support the race. Please keep the date free to help make 2019 another huge success (by the way, its also the Royal Parks Half on 13th October, but we know you’d much rather be at Lee Valley!!!).

James

4. Tomos Packer says:

Rotterdam Marathon 7th April

Place going for free

I’m unable to run this race due to injury, but I will happily transfer my place (officially – you won’t be running under my name) to anyone who would like to run it.

The course is flat and apparently very fast, perfect for PB chasers.

The only clause is that you split the prize money, if you win it.

Cheers,

Tom

5. Ilia says:

Parliament Hill on Saturday Jan-26.

Here is the information from the organisers of the South Of England XC Championships at Parliament Hill on Saturday Jan-26.

I know that a couple of people dropped from the team due to injuries/illnesses, but please consider coming over to support the competitors even if you are not running. Traditionally there is a pub gathering after the race and I do not expect this year to be different.

• Richard Nice says:

Just noticed on Tfl website that there will be an amended timetable between Gospel Oak and Barking on Saturday – but it says trains will run every 15 to 30 minutes so hopefully we’ll be fine. They suggest checking times on the website on Saturday morning.

Technical kit question (mainly for Ilia I guess!) – it’s looking wet – will regular xc spikes be okay or would you recommend getting some extra long ones?

6. Ken stewart says:

In case anyone is still looking for a spring marathon, Edinburgh Marathon entries close tomorrow (Sunday 6th Jan). There at least 3 ERC members entered already.

7. Laura Tollerton says:

On a different note – I have booked Race to the Stonesd day 1 ultra. If anyone feels they would like to join (Gary) it is meant to be a delightful day out!! Saturday 13th July. And only about an hour away I believe.

🙂

8. carol_m says:

I would like to go to The Cock Inn pub, if others are, after the Trent Park 10 mile run.

9. carol_m says:

Does anyone know if there is an organised race happening on NYE 31st December? Normally there is a run arranged by Trent Park Club.

• Richard Nice says:

Yes, 5 or 10 miler. Meet 9am for 9.30am start at Cockfosters entrance to Trent Park, run starts from Cock Inn.

• Daniela Petrianni says:

Is this a cross country or on road?

• Simon Harrison says:

It’s completely on the road (pavement)

• Lorraine says:

ITs all on road. Due to injury not going to be able to run it. Usually after as an ERC tradition we go to The Cock Inn for an end of year drink. Let me know, be nice to see everyone.

• Ilia says:

Several people are going to run this. Last year the pub was still closed so we went to Trent Park cafe, but I think this was because of Sunday. Hopefully we can get to the pub this year.

• Marc Bibaud says:

Just checked pub website. Open from 11am on 31st..

10. Ilia says:

XC Spikes

With the last two XC league races looming as well as the Parliament Hill adventure, a couple of people asked about the XC spikes.

Just wanted to point at this year Adidas version on sale at SportsShoes.com for under 50 pounds. The way these shoes are used they will last for several seasons (but you might need to change the spikes themselves).

• Dora Scavello says:

Thank you, Ilia – that’s exactly what I bought before Stevenage. They’re quite lightweight and I think overall good value for money.

• Daniela Petrianni says:

This is great thanks! Guess what guys, I have a discount code for December for the sport shoes site, you can get 10% off. Use the code BXS1. HAPPY SHOPPING!!!